One of the most frequently asked question from SCMDOJO followers is, I am doing Supply Chain Management Masters from Europe, UK or USA and I need some Master Thesis ideas in Supply Chain?
Key academic research areas in SCM are offering robust and implementable supply chain management thesis that are transforming worldwide trends. The increasing strength of global Supply Chain Management (SCM) is one functional area that shows several students are seeking a good start, especially in solving significant problems in the form of Masters and PhD thesis.
Nevertheless, with the changing trends in the industry, some students are likely to struggle with the early stages of academic writing. A significant reason for this problem is usually down to a lack of ideas or facing new topics with low research activity.
Old Industries and New Industries
The recent pattern shifts in academia, from the traditional research approach to other conventional methods, is taking a more student-centred view. Most of the supply chain management thesis is crafted by students, including dissertation, topic creation, research, and more with help of their supervisors.
With new industries, like Amazon and Apple, transforming old concepts with technological disruption, there are new trends to look out for to help narrow your supply chain management thesis.
The 7 Powerful Supply Chain Trends (I also dubbed “Supply Chain 7.0”) have the potential to become a powerful influence over time. These trends, including Augmented reality (AR), Big Data, Gamification of the supply chain, moving supply chain to “Cloud,” and Internet of Things (IoT) – Industry 4.0. Also, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning in supply chain alongside 3D Printing are now needed to support the product life cycle.
Forbes also highlights the key 2020 Supply Chain Technology Trends that are receiving lots of buzz in Supply Chain Management. In this regard, students seeking top-notch research areas for supply chain management thesis can consider new trends to help create adequate research content.
30 Supply Chain Management Thesis Topics for 2020
On these premises, any supply chain management thesis should be comprehensive. There several topics and areas to consider, and below are 30 Supply Chain Management Thesis Topics for 2020 that students can do research on towards an excellent postgraduate study in SCM.
- Digital Transformation Key Attributes; Challenges; enablers & Success Factors
- Smart Government Initiatives: How Governments are Driving Digital Change
- Digital Leadership linking to Virtual Teams or Self Organised Teams (Agile PM)
- COVID 19 impacted the implementation of Digital Transformation?
- Cross-functional collaboration in the decision-making process.
- The value of data and interdependencies in decision-making.
- Machine learning techniques in supply chain management
Sustainable Project Management (SPM)
- Can apply the SPM model or any of its dimensions to any type of project
- Can Blockchain help with Sustainable Project Management?
- Factors affecting the application of an efficient supply management system.
IoT- Industry 4.0 and Big Data
- Application of IoT in Logistics – Challenges; enablers & Success Factors
- The practicability of intertwined supply networks with IoT.
- Implementation of IoT in 3PL/4PL Industry – Challenges; enablers & Success Factors
- Big data and impact in DDMRP
- Evaluation of technology use in modern supply chain management.
- The extension of supply chain resilience through Industry 4.0
- The Impact of Industry 4.0 on supply chain management.
- Implementation of E-logistics in Supply Chain Operations.
Operations and Supply Chain Management
- Risk Evaluation and Management involved in a supply chain
- Partnerships Perspective in Supply Chain Management
- Assessing Supply Chain Risk Management Capabilities
- Implementation of Green Supply Chain Management Practices
- Supply Chain Management Practices and Supply Chain Performance Effectiveness
- The Impact of Supply Chain Management Practices on the Overall Performance of the org
- The Influence of Environmental Management Practices and Supply Chain Integration on Technological Innovation Performance
- The Relationship between Total Quality Management Practices and their Effects on Firm Performance
- Level of Commitment to Top Management regarding the TQM Implementation
- Impact of Mobility Solutions (transportation / latest technologies) on logistics.
- Study on the roles of supply chain management in corporate outsourcing.
- Evaluating strategies for cost reduction in SCM relating to exports and imports.
Try Audible and Get Two Free Audiobooks
The supply chain systems of today are more likely to see massive changes technologically in the coming years. Some selected supply chain management thesis topics may face limited data or access to real-time data in making proper research and forecast, including seasonality and trends. So, due diligence is necessary to ensure you not only pick an exciting supply chain management thesis, but you also have sufficient access to data, studies, and materials useful in such an area. The impact of these trends alongside technological advancement in the selected areas would certainly help your thesis stand out and unique.
If are looking for more articles in the education category, you can visit this page
How To Get A Phd: A Handbook For Students And Their Supervisors
How to Get a PhD: How to Set Yourself Up for Success in the First 12 Months (Getting My PhD)
About Dr. Muddassir Ahmed
Dr. Muddassir Ahmed is a global speaker, blogger and supply chain industry, expert. Dr Muddassir Ahmed has received a PhD in Management Science from Lancaster University Management school. Muddassir is a Six Sigma black belt and has founded scmdojo.com with the intention to enable supply chain professionals and supply chain teams to solve the problems they face in their jobs & business.
Follow SCM Dojo Social Networks
About Zaragoza Logistics Center
Zaragoza Logistics Center is a research and educational institute affiliated to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Zaragoza. Core research areas in logistics and supply chain management at Zaragoza Logistics Center (ZLC) strive to be actionable and applied so that people and organizations can make decisions and take action.
Zaragoza Academic Partnership (ZAP)
The Zaragoza Academic Partnership (ZAP) Program allows companies to sponsor ZLC students’ thesis projects for both masters ZLOG, ZLOGb and MDSC. It is an initiative to enhance applied research and bring industry-academia relationships closer together in the field of supply chain management. Each year students are required to complete thesis projects and many of them work with our partner companies on challenging and innovative research projects through the ZAP Program.