Official reference: E 6/08
Funding Body: Ministry of Science and Innovation
Type of Funding: Public
Main Researcher: Susana Val
Other Researchers: Diego Chocarro
Term: 05/01/2009 – 04/01/2011
Link to Project Website:
The ultimate aim of the project is to promote sustainable urban mobility and the use of public transport through the research and development of new information methods and technologies for planning of urban journeys by travellers.
The project thus puts forward the experimental development of a traveller support system to choose itineraries and modes of transport in urban settings that is comprehensive, supports the use of sustainable transport, encourages the use of public transport, is reliable and genuinely useful for travellers, capable of raising travellers’ trust in the journey recommendation information and that has a relevant impact on improving mobility by increasing the use made by users.
The development of the system involves overcoming a series of technological and social challenges and a series of innovations with regard to the current state of the art:
- To take into account all current modes of transport and every combination possible, both public and private, to provide the information to the traveller
- To include other options in the choice of journey such as carpooling, carsharing, park and ride facilities, etc.
- To inform the traveller of itinerary evaluation indicators in addition to journey time, such as cost, comfort and convenience of journey, sustainability, etc.
- To be able to offer travellers an estimated time for each journey at all times and dynamically
- To explore a new low-cost technology to detect urban traffic density and speed
Following the development of the system, there shall be three pilot cases, offering different scenarios for validating the system (Valencia, Zaragoza, Barcelona).
- Coordinator: Instituto tecnológico del embalaje, transporte y logística. (ITENE)
- Zaragoza Logistics Center (ZLC)
- TRAKTEPLAN S.L.
- Fundación de la Comunidad Valenciana para la Innovación Urbana y Economía del Conocimiento (FIVEC)
- Entitat de transport metropolitá de València (ETM)
- PALMA TOOLS S.L.
- Electronic Traffic I+D S.A. (ETRA I+D)
- BIT CARRIER S.L.
- Intelligent Transport System Spain (ITS SPAIN)