Project number: 723984
Funding Body: European Commission – H2020
Type of funding: Public
Main Researcher: Dr. Susana Val
Start date: 1/10/2016
End date: 31/03/2019
Duration: 30 months
Addressing emissions from transport is becoming increasingly important due to its increasing contribution to total greenhouse gas emissions and the link to high levels of toxic pollutants in places with a high concentration of transport activity. The contribution of freight transport to these issues is already significant, and will become more so due to continued globalisation of supply chains and further global economic growth.
More recently, collaborative green freight programs have been developed. Several well-established industry-led green freight programs (Green Freight Europe, Lean & Green, ECO Stars etc.) developed to meet differing needs – operational data sharing to support benchmarking & reporting, efficiency improvement, reduction of toxic emissions in urban areas etc.
Public authorities are also taking a greater interest because of targets to reduce transport CO2 emissions and improve air quality. They are investigating a wide range of mechanisms, from incentives to access restrictions, and from vehicle-level certification of emissions to legislation requiring reporting.
There is much activity ongoing in this area; however, much of it takes place in isolation. This creates problems – for example, confusion over the role of different programs, disagreement over the most effective mechanisms that can be used to calculate and report emissions, where support is most needed to encourage certain behaviours, or ignorance of practical measures under development.
The overall goal of LEARN is to establish co-ordinated networks of industry, government and civil society
Stakeholders and build on existing initiatives to drive consistent and transparent emissions measurement and reporting across the global logistics supply chain.
- Stichting Smart Freight Centre
- Transport & Travel Research Ltd
- Deutsches Zentrum Fuer Luft – Und Raumfahrt Ev
- Fundación Zaragoza Logistics Center
- Fraunhofer Gesellschaft Zur Forderung Der Angewandten Forschung Ev
- Nätverket För Transporter Och Miljön
- Stichting Connekt
- Iru Projects Asbl
- Clecat – European Association For Forwarding, Transport, Logistics And Customs Service
- Nederlandse Organisatie Voor Toegepast Natuurwetenschappelijk Onderzoek TNO
- European Council Of Transport Users (European Shippers Council)
- Uniunea Nationala A Transportatorilor Rutieri Din Romania – Untrr
- The Energy Saving Trust Ltd By Guarantee
For further information, please contact:
Dr. Susana Val, Principal Investigator
“This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under the Grant Agreement No 723984.”